How to Find A Crash Report for A Greenwood Crash?

How do you obtain a crash report in Greenwood? A car accident is a daunting experience which may leave you with losses in the form of property damage and injuries. It is possible to recover compensatory damages from the at-fault party with the help of a car accident lawyer in Greenwood, SC. However, you can get compensation only after you prove the negligence of the at-fault driver.

The police report, or crash report, of an accident plays an important role in determining the liable party. In many cases, the report may even name and point out the person or driver whose fault caused the crash. In other instances, the simple facts of the report are vital in establishing fault when combined with other pieces of evidence and witness testimony.

Before you file a claim for damages, you will need to lay your hands on the crash report for your particular accident. If any law enforcement officers arrived on the crash scene, this report was very likely filed. You must find out which law enforcement agency filed the report before applying for one.

Who Can File the Crash Report?

For crashes that take place in Greenwood, South Carolina, one of the three entities can file a crash report. These include the following:

  • Greenwood Police Department. The GPD typically files crash reports for accidents that occur in city boundaries or close to the boundaries of the city.
  • Greenwood County Sheriff’s Office. For accidents that take place anywhere in Greenwood County, the GCSO also has jurisdiction. So deputies from GCSO may respond to an accident within the county and then file a report for it.
  • South Carolina Highway Patrol. The SCHP has statewide jurisdiction on all public roads. So the agency can respond to a crash scene virtually anywhere in South Carolina. If the troopers are the first to respond to an accident, they will file a crash report for it.

Finding the Crash Report For Your Accident

The process of applying for and receiving a crash report depends on which of the three agencies listed above filed the report. Here’s a look at the process for each of them.

Greenwood Police Department

When the GPD responds to an accident, law officers with the department file a report for the crash within 3 to 5 days. As someone involved in the accident, you can then retrieve this report in the following ways:

  • In person. You can go to the Records Unit of GPD in person and get a report by providing details like the date and accident of the crash. The Police Records unit for GPD is located on the 520 Monument Street in Greenwood, SC.
  • By mail. To apply for your crash report by mail, you must send details of the crash, a copy of your photo ID, and a stamped envelope addressed to self. These must be sent to the following address:

Greenwood Police Department

Police Administration/Records

  1. O. Box 40

Greenwood, SC 29648

As someone involved in the crash, you will not be charged anything for the report. An uninvolved party, however, will be charged a fee of $2 for a copy of the report.

Greenwood County Sheriff’s Office

If deputies from the Greenwood County Sheriff’s Office responded to your accident, you will need to seek a copy of the report from the Sheriff’s Office. This can be done in the following ways.

  • In person. The Sheriff’s Office is located at 528 Edgefield Street in Greenwood, SC. You can go to the office in person, produce details like your ID and the accident’s particulars, and then get a copy of the report.
  • By mail. You can alternatively contact the Sheriff’s Office by emailing at The person responding to the mail will guide you through the process of obtaining the report online.
  • You can also call the Sheriff’s Office and get information on how to access your report.

South Carolina Highway Patrol

If SCHP troopers filed your crash report, you can apply online to get a copy of the report. Alternatively, you will need to go to the SCHP office at Blythewood, SC in person.

Hire a Reliable Car Accident Lawyer in Greenwood, SC

If you have suffered a car crash in Greenwood, SC, a police report will serve as a key piece of evidence in your damages claim. You can apply for the report through the procedures listed above. Alternatively, we can get the report on your behalf and then help you file for damages at the earliest. Get in touch with us today to discuss your claim in a free consultation.

Fighting For The Underdog

Contact Us Below To Arrange A Consultation With An Experienced Greenwood Personal Injury Attorney